Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Myanmar & Beyond

One of the guys on the trip has the same computer as me and lent me his charger for a few hours. So I have computer access for a limited window of time.  I need to finish up my Myanmar blog as I am now countries behind... Since Burma we have spent a day in Bangkok on a long lay-over (with scavenges to do while we were there) and 3 days in Sri Lanka.  We leave Sri Lanka in a few hours for Muscat, Oman.  I have amazing stories from every place... but first.. Day 2 of Myanmar as that is all I will have time for before we leave for the airport..
We decided to go HARD in Burma and just suck it up and not get any real sleep for our entire time in-country.  There are two other REALLY GOOD teams on the trip (An Australian team of two sisters from Sydney and a couple from New Zealand).... so we are catching our ass staying ahead.  We were in second place after Taiwan but managed to get ahead in Myanmar  (which was a Par 5 leg so very important). That put us in first place coming into Sri Lanka . Then - I blew it. I made a critical error plotting our path here and it cost us a bunch of time and probably this leg.  We do not have scores for Sri Lanka yet, but I am fairly confident that we will have dropped into 3rd or even 4th place after this country. More on that later...

Bagan... The magical valley of 2,000  Temples.  The morning of Day 2 we set off by plane for Bagan - an area by the river with more than 2,000 temples / stupas / shrines.  There is no way to properly capture it on film.  We had to climb to the top of one of the taller temples - at sunset - and look out over the Bagan valley.  It was a spectacular view that the camera just cannot convey properly.

The men - and women- in Myanmar wear skirts (with apparently no underwear and there was a total lack of underwear hanging with the washing outside of the homes)

And  the women wear gold-colored mud all over their face.

Bagan was a spirital, karma-filled amazing place.  We had to rent bicycles and literally ride from temple to  temple .... with 2,000+ year old stuff on either side of the road.  AMAZING !!!

Day 3 of Burma ... we went to Mandalay. Day 4 we spent in Ingle Lake
More on that to come....

1 comment:

Chloe said...

So JEALOUS! When I was on semester at sea we learnt about the valley of 2,000 temples and I really wanted to go and see there after i knew more about the history. I hope you have more pictures than that!

 

blog stats
catalog outlet store