Monday, May 4, 2009

Memories… like the corners of my mind

We are now past our halfway mark in terms of countries with 6 of the 10 completed. Nanny got sick in Turkey (bad flu) and had a tough day or two. Then yesterday Ben got sick (bad headache from not drinking enough water) but he's better today. Fingers crossed that it not Rainey or my turn next as we are entering the hardest leg of the trip. We just arrived in Frankfurt and are having a big dinner party with everyone together tonight before we get our scavenge booklets. We all think that we are going to have to head out to other countries pretty quick - the real question is whether that will be tonight or tomorrow. Which begs the really important question: to wash clothes or not? Carrying dirty clothes is bad but hauling around wet clothes is even worse.
PLEASE WRITE COMMENTS - WE LOVE TO HEAR FROM EVERYONE. YOUR COMMENTS ARE OUR ONLY CONNECTION TO THE REAL WORLD. PLEASE, PLEASE WRITE....

A quick walk down memory lane from the trip so far (at least a few of the countries - I don't have time for all before dinner - but the high speed internet connection here is awesome (thank you Germany) so wanted to upload some pics quickly):

The whole group
A group photo of all of the teams as we set off from Seattle. We all look a bit different now – and lot like we have been rode hard and put up wet.
Seattle
Ben and I on the metro train in Seattle – on our way to the Space Needle









Taiwan:
Ben and Nanny have tea at the old Kamikaze Pilot’s Club teahouse outside of Tapei.
Thailand:

Ben feeding the elephant in Ayutthaya







Wat Po Temple’s amazing reclining Buddha. As much as I liked the face – I was really intrigued with the sheer size of the toes
Tiger Temple: Rainey with the tigers at Tiger Temple (this is just because April bet that Rainey did not go near the tigers…). But I have photo proof.

Cambodia:
Having a cold drink that this very unusual restaurant in Siem Reap called Butterflies – which is an outdoor place where you sit in these pagodas and the entire place is inside a large net and is filled with butterflies. They fly and land all around you as you eat and drink. All colors and sizes.








A food scavenge – thus Rainey is having NONE of it

India:
Ben rings the bell to send his prayer to heaven in the Monkey Temple in Jaipur – a long trek up a very steep cobbled path in the blistering heat (ah yes, the heat of India – something that you never forget) – to be rewarded by an amazing view of all of Jaipur.



Funny Taj photo of Nanny:

11 comments:

JoAnne Blakely said...

Zoe, remember to listen CAREFULLY to Bill's instructions BEFORE you drink the beer so there won't be another Mulligan leg this year. Loving the blog- just like being there without the heat and dirty clothes (but without the points!)
JoAnne & Jeff

PS- Hi to Kit, JoAnne, Janice, Erwin

Eric Herman said...

Zoe and Gang,
Oli and GiGi are here with me and we just want to say how proud we are that all of you are doing this adventure and sharing this with us. Oli wants to know if this is going to make it to television this year? GiGi hopes you are having fun and misses you. We all can't wait to sit down and share the stories...Love Eric, GiGi , Oli,and of course Wendy!

Unknown said...

Zoe,I say wash the things that dry fast or go commando... mold is never fun.
I am so envious when I read your blog, I am aiming to follow in our footsteps by 2011, you have inspired me. Good luck and I hope you and Rainey stay germ free.
Darcy

Unknown said...

hey auntie zo..
say hi to everyone for me! i love how u are keeping ur blog up this year. everyday i get up and hope that there is some exciting news from some crazy place in the world in my inbox! say hi to gran for me and benny.. good luck!

Derek Maingot said...

Is Auntie Christine catching up with you all in Germany then? Nothing is worse than the flu on a trip!

Cheers you two!

Anonymous said...

I really am impressed with rainey petting those tigers... well sort of impressed... I always find him to be the voice of sanity in such situations so I’m bit disheartened that he can no longer be counted on to be the one to talk you out of doing crazy stuff. I wouldn't have done it. the gold buddha is my favorite.

Unknown said...

I hope Mum only has the flu and not the infamous "swine flu" that is sweeping through the USA.

I am sorry that Ben got sick but dehydration will make you feel aweful but at least lots of water and a little rest cures that quickly.

I would have loved to have petted and played with the tigers I think you would have had to have physically removed me from them to continue the other challenges.

Tell Mum that "Girlie" my pit bull went to a new home today. There were lots of tears (mine) but I am really happy she has gone. She now has a new "boyfriend" He is a big brown male dog whose female partner died 2 weeks ago and all he has done is howl because he hates being alone but now he has a new girlfriend my "Girlie".

I guess we will hear from you guys again soon. You have done a terrific job of keeping us informed and I also get up everyday hoping for an up date.

Love to all of you and I hope Mum is feeling better.
Heids

Janice and Erwin said...

Zoe, I'm an observer this year which feels kinda good when you're talking about the heat, dirt, no sleep, but then I remember the rewards when you finally get to a place that blows you away and is worth every bit it took to get there. Congrats on the standings. I love the new rules, they would have taken care of a lot of miscommunication that happened last year. I'm glad something was learned from 2008.

Too bad you're not going back to eastern Europe this time, but it sounds like you'll at least get out of the heat for a while. Get ready for some pickled fish!

Good luck...Janice & Erwin

Jess and Kel said...

Zoe and Rainey, Have been following you on your amazing journey, the latest adventure with the DahliBill! you guys did great last year and with that experience, not surprised how well you are doing! I know if we were there chances are we would still be near the bottom! Keep up the good work!!

Jess and Kel

PS: hi to the Blakely's, Kit and Jo, and, Janice and Erwin

Andy Valvur said...

Great seeing you guys in FRA....keep on rockin' and we'll catch up soon... somewhere in the world.
Andy

Jules said...

ive so enjoyed reading the blog. What a most amazing trip. I have to say the tiger pics are my favorite.

 

blog stats
catalog outlet store