Sunday, May 4, 2014

End of 2014 Great Escape Trip: Finale in Chicago

We lucked into a beautiful day in Chicago (sunny and crisp) for our last day of the trip.  Emily and Ugs shot out of the hotel like jackrabbits, as soon as Bill opened the leg, as they were sitting in second place after the Europe leg and wanted to secure the spot.  Angel and Jordan abandoned us because they wanted to leisurely choose only a few scavenges and do them at a slow pace.  So Bettina and Johnathan came with Rainey and I to rent bicycles and explore the Windy City.  We had such a great day.



Took a ride on the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier



Reflected ourselves on “the Bean”



And photographed interesting outdoor art throughout the city …


Often starring Johnathan’s interactions with the art




Including a modern rendition of Rodin’s “The Thinker”



 Check in was 4PM. Followed by the award ceremony.  
AND THE WINNERS ARE… drum roll.  Rainey and I came in first ... YAY. 


And for the first time ever, there was a complete tie for second place.  So Ugs and Emily – as well as - Kim and Maria (The Retired Traveling Chicks) were all awarded second place.



Last event of the trip… the farewell dinner. Always such a bittersweet event.  



Based largely on the charitable contributions raised by this event each year, the Great Escape foundation now funds 10 schools (all co-ed - so girls have the same opportunities as boys) in six of the most impoverished countries in the world. They also fund a clinic for a nomadic tribe in Northern Africa which provides basic medical care, vaccinations etc.  Plus they have funded hundreds of micro-loans: all to women trying to better their financial situation. Not only is the trip a powerful life-changing experience, it also raises money to change the lives of so many other people around the world.

I'm glad to be going home tomorrow (I've missed my eldest son Ben so much) but I'm very sad that another Great Escape scavenger hunt is over.  It has been truly amazing 3 weeks.  
Signing off until our next adventure..... 

2 comments:

Beverly said...

well done you two. about time you won again..... well deserved.
also thanks for putting in your blog about the fund raising part of the trip. several of our friends read it and glad to have that reinforced. Say hello to Ben and to your mom till next year.
bev and buz. (who loved traveling along in spirit.)

URGENT LOAN OFFER WHATSAPP +918929509036 said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

 

blog stats
catalog outlet store