Monday, April 18, 2011

Seoul: Second Day

Seoul is a HUGE city with millions and millions of people. It is a little like an ant hill.... with busy ants moving in and out of buildings all the time. Here is Emily in profile sitting at the hotel window with Seoul all around her. Day 2 we headed out of town as soon as we got our scavenges. On a fast train to Busan. Korea put a new KTX express train system in about 7 years ago and it is awesome – comfortable, quiet, nice seats. We used the time to decipher all of today's challenges and to plot them on the map so we can be efficient at knocking stuff out when we get back into Seoul. We took a 3 hour ride down to a waterfront town where we had to visit the fish market. It is a huge, outdoor market with a smell that is beyond description. There is literally nothing that lives under the water that these people do not drag onto land and eat. Including squids and sea urchins and sea slugs and sting rays. URGGHHH!! It was quite a sight. Next stop was Lotte (a department store with a large food court in the basement). We had to buy random stuff to make a picnic. We bought all kinds of odd things and then two big orders of French fries to even out our food choices. Some was good, some was awful. We then took the train to Suwon (another town) where we had to climb to the top of a hill and visit a fortress. It was a steep climb up.. lots of groaning and sore legs.. but a fantastic view at the top. Back in Seoul, we found that the weather had not been great all day. Cold and rainy. We had to eat traditional Korean Bar-B-Q where you cook your food right at the table. A twist on fondue but the same general concept of communal eating. By the time we got back to the hotel last night, I was literally sleep-walking. I forget each year how tiring this trip is. WOW. I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.. with all of my clothes on.






We are now at the airport… heading out to our next destination.. MANILA, PHILIPPINES. I’ve never been. Can’t wait to see what adventures await us there.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Trying again. I keep trying to leave a long comment but it won't go. I am testing with this

Unknown said...

Ok so It worked. I am living vicarioulsy through you guys. I can't believe that you are doing this without me. I want to be there hot...cold...dirty and entralled. Instead I am here scrubbing and oiling dirty floors.
I am routing for you guys. Lo0ve Heids

Derek Maingot said...

Yea Zo! Manila is FAR less organized than Seoul ... :-) I'm sure you're experiencing that. The food in the Philippines is FAR more (ugh) "adventurous"... good luck babes. I will tell ya that the beaches in the Philippines are some of the best in the world outside of the Caribbean! Hugs!

 

blog stats
catalog outlet store