Friday, April 19, 2013

Guest Blog from Jordan: Highlights of the trip so far

Jordan wrote a blog on the bus ride from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh. I am going to upload it now and then do my own blog later. Here it is:
Hello fair world beyond the country that I’m in!  I am now actually speaking with you from the future since you all are half a day behind me! I’ll summarize the past few days my  favorite place and food - so far. 

First: the best place was definitely the Cu Chi Tunnels in Vietnam. It was sort of weird and uncomfortable because of the amount of propaganda that Vietnam includes in the tour and how much of the true story they changed but it’s their country and they won the war so I guess they have the right to create the message. We crawled through the tunnels (which gave my mom a full panic attack) and shot…. I’m waiting for Ben to get on the edge of his seat… an AK47!!  It was awesome!!! 


They also had some big machine guns there (including a M60) that you could fire but the scavenge book specified that we had to use an AK47 so that’s what we did. 
We also saw the traps used to kill “fat Americans” (true quote from our guide… creepy). They would cover the trap with leaves and when a soldier stepped on either end it would spin up and they’d fall into the pit with iron spikes.  




Or the soldier might step on the “folding chair” trap and the jaws of the trap would snap shut and amputate their leg. 



Also interesting was that in a street market in Shanghai they were selling all kinds of hand-to-harm combat weapons 





The best food I’ve had so far is a mysterious fruit called the mangosteen. Of course not knowing what it was I was hesitant but it is by far the sweetest fruit I have ever had. Only bad thing is that I’ll have to come back to South East Asia to ever eat it again.




Most disgusting food that I have seen... pig brains


2 comments:

Heidi said...

well done Jords. Great blog post. Pig brains.......yuck. Hope you write another one soon.
Mum has been doing a great job of blogging as well. Wish I was there with you guys.

Trade Vision said...

Really informative article, I had the opportunity to learn a lot, thank you.
Global Import Data

 

blog stats
catalog outlet store