Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Shanghai Seduction


I am officially writing a “Dear John” letter to the city of Manhattan.  I know I told you I love you. I know I said I loved New York city above all other big cities. I pledged undying devotion. I promised to be true to that love. But no more.  Our monogamous relationship is over. Move over Manhattan… my heart has been stolen by Shanghai: a city that fully whups your butt.  My new love is clean, sleek, efficient, beautiful.. and with the most astounding selection of sky scraper architecture imaginable. I know I’m supposed to be skeptical of the motives of the Chinese government. I recognize they have a billion people working at slave wages to produce this gem of the regime.  But I am weak. I succumbed. I am totally wooed by Shanghai.

We spent most of our first day on a bonus scavenge where we traveled outside the city of Shanghai to a water village.  Zhanjiajiao is like a mini-Venice… canals, carved bridges, very few streets as transportation is by boat and every house is carved within an inch of its life. The put small pots of flowers in every window to add dashes of color.







We started at the Fensheng Bridge clutching our leaky plastic bag of typhoid water and 4 “lucky” fish. The fish are lucky apparently because they are destined for release in the river since - obviously - today started poorly for them when they got caught and put into the leaky bag in the first place).


We then took a boat tour along the canals 



Jordan released the "lucky" goldfish but it became immediately apparently that the poor fish are almost immediately re-captured by the group of young boys who followed behind us with nets,.  A Chinese form of catch and release: fish is caught, released, re-caught, re-released…an eternity on the karma wheel



Along the waterway we saw – first hand – the dish washing provisions…. Elderly men furiously scrubbing the bowls and dishes for the restaurants above ….in the filthy river water.  Since every PSA poster says “Do not drink the water”…. this is more than a little disconcerting.



We strolled through the market of the water village to find a variety of odd delicacies including  pig’s feet…toe  nails and all still attached. 



By the time we got back from the water village that first day, we only had a few hours to jump straight into Shanghai… feet first.

Jordan had to get examined and diagnosed by a non-English speaking Chinese herbalist at a traditional pharmacy …with a focus on what is wrong with his Qi. The pharmacist started.  There were many hand gestures and facial expressions…lots of chatter back and forth (all in Chinese so we couldn’t understand one word). Then they bought some evil looking black bark-like shards.  The pieces are to be boiled into a strong tea and Jordan will be cured (no idea of what).  Who knew it was this easy to diagnose and cure the complex and multi-faceted Mr. Penchas. And first RX… the face mask



Got to love a city where the telephone box gives you free high-speed wireless internet.
Forget Starbucks ....you can just hang out on the sidewalk and conduct business 




We started at the People’s Park… beautifully maintained, gorgeous colors, totally tranquil in the middle of the bustling city.  






They even make entire walls of flowers




At dusk, the city turned on. And Shanghai LOVES neon.  Every building, every corner, every square inch become electric. It is so pretty.




Day Two in Shanghai was quick, fast and exhausting. We rushed around the city to gather up as many points as possible before the 3 PM check-in.  We visited the pandas at the Zoo and found a grand-daddy Panda splayed out for  a comfy nap.  



We rode the fastest train in the world (the Maglev) to and from its first stop.  It reaches speeds of 400KM. Stunning technology.  It makes our American efforts look like child’s play. 



We also went to the Century Park and rented recumbent bikes and rode around in the greenness. Jordan and Madeline got the hang of them straight away... the grown-ups - not so much.  I felt like I was going to tip over at every moment. 




Last night we flew out of Shanghai at 10PM and got to our hotel in Ho Chi Minh city (old Saigon) in VIetnam at 3 AM today.  We were all thoroughly exhausted.   So that’s all for now… I have to get to bed before I collapse.  BUT A LAST MEMORY OF SHINING  SHANGHAI





2 comments:

Derek Maingot said...

Amazing... (and on MY list!!!) Congrats!

Chloe said...

Hey guys! I loved Shanghai when I was there. Beautiful place! See that you are on to Ho Chi Minh.. guess your going to see the cu chi tunnels like you have always wanted to! Beware of small spaces.. that's all I have to say. And definietly eat some Pho!

 

blog stats
catalog outlet store